By browsing the RKC wiki to read articles you leave a basic trail in server logs, no different to when you browse other similar pages.
To become an editor and contribute your own articles you must create a user account, whereby you consent with your contributions being published under Creative Commons licensing, whether your text is included in articles, user pages or talk pages. The exceptions are described below.
Our curators, editors and contributors self-manage the fair use of information and correct attribution.
Any content you add or any change that you make to the RKC wiki will be publicly and permanently available.
If you add content or make a change to the RKC wiki, that content or change will be publicly and permanently archived; your content or change will be attributed to your username.
The administrators of the RKC wiki have limited access to nonpublic information about recent contributions in order to protect the RKC wiki and enforce policies.
Information we collect
We collect information when you:
- Make public contributions.
- Register an account or update your user page.
- Access the RKC wiki articles.
- Send us emails or give feedback.
We will never sell your information or share it with third parties for marketing purposes.
We would only share your information in limited circumstances, such as to improve the RKC wiki, to comply with the law, or to protect you and others.
We're retaining your data for the shortest possible time that is consistent with maintaining, understanding, and improving the RKC websites, and our obligations under the law.
Simply visiting the website does not expose your identity publicly.
To publish an article on the RKC wiki, you have to be registered and logged in.
To register an account, you need to provide an email address and your real name.
Editing a page in the RKC wiki means you're engaging in a public act of publishing a text, and you are identified with that edit as its author.
Visiting the RKC wiki means that we will automatically receive the IP address of the device (or your proxy server) you are using to access the Internet. Your IP address will be stored on the wiki servers and can be seen by administrators. Your IP address, and its connection to any usernames that share it, may be released in cases of abuse or vandalism of a wiki page by you or by another user with the same IP address.
Be aware that any personal information you post on RKC wiki pages will be public. If you decide to publish your email or phone number, that's your responsibility and that action is not covered by this Policy. Therefore please be conscious when publishing your personal information on your user page or any other pages.
If you're using a shared computer, please log out after each session to avoid others making edits, even by mistake, under your name. Selecting a strong password for your account and changing it regularly helps protect your data in the RKC wiki (and in general).
The RKC wiki will set a temporary session cookie (PHPSESSID) whenever you visit the site. If you do not intend to ever log in, you may deny this cookie, but you cannot log in without it. It will be deleted when you close your browser session.
More cookies may be set when you log in, to avoid typing in your user name (or optionally password) on your next visit. These last up to 30 days. You may clear these cookies after use if you are using a public machine and don't wish to expose your username to future users of the machine. (If so, clear the browser cache as well.)
In which cases we may release your information
Our administrators may share your personal information in the following situations:
- In rare cases, we may ask you for consent to share your personal information, in which case your written consent serves as the authorization for disclosure of specified information.
- If there is a strong reason to respond to a valid subpoena, warrant, court order, or other judicial requests. In this case, we will inform you prior to such disclosure of your personal information, provided that the email address with which you registered is valid.
- In the case of investigation of abuse complaints, your information may be forwarded to the Circle of Stewards, his/her/their legal counsel, or his/her/their designee.
- When your information is in any way relevant for resolving technical issues.
- If you intentionally damage RKC wiki articles or act disrespectfully to other editors and users, your information may be disclosed in the formation of responses to complaints.
- Whenever sharing your information would prevent serious harm, or protect the organisation, this wiki, its users or the public.
We don't allow public disclosure of your personal information in any circumstances other than those listed above.
Sharing information with third parties
If not otherwise specified, everything on the RKC wiki is publicly available under a Creative Commons license.
We will only share your personal information with third parties if you agree to release this information, or if that is required by law.
Data on users, such as the times at which they edited and the number of edits they have made, are publicly available via "user contributions" lists, and in aggregated forms published by other users.
Deletion of content
Removing text from RKC wiki articles does not permanently delete it. Changes in articles and previous versions can be seen by anyone. Administrators can still see and even retrieve deleted articles. Only technicians with access to the servers can permanently delete articles. Such deletion is only likely to take place in response to legal action.